Saturday, October 21, 2017

New Adk Boulder Development

  Earlier this year (January/February 2017), a climbing friend and Caroga Lake local informed me about a pretty interesting looking boulder that he found while deer hunting last fall.  Ken Murphy and I ventured into the boulder in late winter to check out the potential for climbs/problems and we were both convinced that the boulder had all of the right ingredients to produce some quality climbs. 

  For whatever reason, maybe the fact that cleaning and prepping an untouched boulder takes a lot of time and effort, this new boulder sat there dormant until earlier September.  As I continued to let my injured finger heal, I decided to head back into the woods to begin cleaning this boulder for some climbing.  Altogether, I spent three separate six hour days cleaning the boulder followed by two separate bouldering sessions to establish some of the easier problems since my finger injury was still limiting me on how hard I could pull with my right hand; especially on smaller holds and crimps.  

  Here is the boulders evolution along with a short video highlighting some of the established problems thus far.  I hope you enjoy and happy climbing! 

Media Update:

February 2017:  First visit to the boulder 






September 2017:  Boulder after three cleaning/prepping sessions







October 2017:  First handful of established problems


No comments:

Post a Comment