Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Winter Session(s) at Great Barrington Mass.


I have spent the last two weekends on the boulders at "The Reservoir" in Great Barrington Massachusetts. This place has always been one of my favorite bouldering areas due to the quality of the rock, the climbing style of the boulder problems, the relatively close proximity to home and the sheer abundance of established and undone boulder problems.

I have been climbing here since 2006 and it is becoming more and more obvious that I am not familiar with probably 75% of the established climbing at "The Reservoir" or any of the other satellite bouldering areas in and around Great Barrington. I have found passages from the New England Bouldering Archive section where the original developers of the area list new problems and areas and even go as far as developing bouldering circuits of 30+ boulder problems all V4 and under within a 100 yard radius of the Erkenen Boulder (AKA Crystal Method Boulder). I don't know about you guys, but I can only think of a dozen or so problems under V4 in that immediate area. I guess I need to befriend a few more locals so I can tap into their resources and knowledge of the area. I realize that a guidebook will never be released for the area due to access issues and restrictions, but someone has to be tracking all of the climbing and development in the area....or at least you would think someone would be, right?

Here are some random pictures from the past two weekends; I am currently working on a compilation video that should be done later this week.











2 comments:

  1. Nice shots, you guys were crushing up there! I look forward to seeing your send of Filter on video , congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike- thanks man and nice send on Pressure Drop! I haven't even been able to pull onto the start of that climb yet. Planning on wrapping up the GB video tonight so stay tuned for the blog updates. Have a nice holiday and hopefully we will be out climbing again soon.

      Delete