Saturday, August 12, 2017

Summer Bouldering Session at Nine Corner Lake

  It has been a very tough summer, weather-wise that is.  The northeast has been riddled with lingering rain showers, high humidity, high heat, and for whatever reason a continued bug nuisance well past their usual annoyance.  To keep a level of sanity and to keep up with my climbing conditioning, I have been dedicating a couple of days a week (2 minimum, 4 maximum) to indoor climbing sessions on my home wall, hangboard sessions, weight lifting, and cardiovascular conditioning.  The latter just commenced this past week in an effort to initiate some weight loss and toning for the fast approaching and long awaiting fall climbing season here in the Adirondacks.  I am so psyched for this fall!!!

  So back in April when I had my road trip out to Joe's Valley, UT I was able to get myself back down to a body weight of 165-170 pounds.  This weight feels ideal for rock climbing for me.  Currently I am coming off of a weight lifting/bulking training split where I successfully increased my body weight from 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.  With the additional weight, I was also rewarded with massive increases in strength and power.  Despite being "heavier" lately, I am successfully climbing all of my indoor home wall problems that I was able to do back in April when I was much lighter and I am routinely sending V7's and V8's when I session outdoors.  This is the first time that I have been able to actually climb at a decent level while cycling through aweight training/bulking cycle.  Needless to say, I am super anxious to see what happens when I am able to trim away some of the excess body weight!  

  Here is a short video clip from a recent bouldering session at my local hotspot, Nine Corner Lake.  There is a new problem in this video that is on the Wall Boulder that I established back in the spring with Tayor Treadgold.  I thought it was a solid V7, but we will need some more sends for a consensus on the grade.  I also have been working on the reverse traverse on the Cave Boulder, Zub Zero (V9) and Psychosomatic Disorder (V9).  I am agonizingly close to sending both variations and am optimistic that it could happen for me in the next week or so...

Media Update: 




1 comment: